We want to inspire people. We want someone to look at us and say…
“Because of you I did not GIVE UP.”
The Club was formed in April 2010 by Messrs Dira ’’ Chippa’’ Laka and Lawrence “Shoes’’ Mashigo who financed the team from their own pockets, and provided playing equipment from different sources. There were times when they collected Red t-shirts to be used as Bibs for playing, with only two balls for the players to utilize. The Team focused on playing friendly games with Teams from the NFD, Vodacom and PSL.
The founders had to finance the transportation of the Team to various places for Games, and this took a toll on their budget that led them on deciding to play in local Tournaments to be able to offset the cost of running the Team. Furthermore support also came from Luminaries like Reneilwe “Yeye” Letsholonyane of Kaiser Chiefs who liked how the team was being run, and went on to encourage the founders to start with the lower divisions as follows.
Meadowlands Academy F.C aims to establish a fully-fledged Academy of Football in Meadowlands area by the of 2015, to cater for all levels from juniors like under 10 to under 17, and to be able to attract Boys from the streets where they are tempted to use Drugs and Alcohol and bring them into playing Football through Meadowlands Academy of Football.
It further aims to produce high quality players that are ready for both NFD and PSL from the current juniors that are within the structures.
The Academy of Football intends to forge partnerships with the Gauteng Department of Sports Arts & Culture, to help with the setting up of the Academy, together with the Gauteng Department Education for facilitating the acquisition of an unused School building on a lease to use as Academy Facilities. Furthermore the intention is also to form partnerships with other academies in and around Gauteng to facilitate exchange programmes with them, including Academies of Professional Teams for easy transfer of Meadowlands Academy’s juniors to higher levels of Coaching and chance to play professionally
Format of the Academy of Football
The Academy will embark on a registration project of young boys through parental approval (art 12 par 11 FIFA AGENTS REGULATIONS), and register them as academy players from the time they arrive at the academy till they are ready for professional teams. The eventual transfer and or sale of players to other teams or academies will be done through the Academy or their appointed representatives who will then negotiate appropriate fees and arrangement for the benefit of both Player and Academy.
Requirements of the Academy
The Gauteng Department of Sports & Culture will be approached to help with the setup of the Academy through the funding and equipment for all the divisions within the academy structures and the training instructors, and the following is a complete list of requirements,
- Facility to serve as academy base
- Sponsorship to upgrade facility to required standards when obtained
- Sponsorship to furnish the academy
- Sports sponsorship for Training and Playing Kits and Soccer balls.
- Nutritional Sponsorship for Players during training.
- Bus to transport academy players to matches.
- Recruitment of trainers & Coaches.
- Registration of theAcademy with SAFA.
Helping children from disadvantage background to become better people in life.
The Team aims to market their senior players to upper Leagues like Vodacom, National First Division and PSL,
As a way of creating space for their upcoming under 17 who must now climb to the first Team and create clear channel for advancing to higher levels within the Club.
To have a fully fledged facility and competing in international level tournaments.
To develop talent in township and have our players competing with the best in the country.
• 2010 Seniors – Runner-ups in the Bosmont Cup
• 2010 Seniors – Toby’s Cup winners
• 2010 Seniors – Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge last 16
• 2011 Seniors -Ndofaya Cup Semi – finalists
• 2011 Semi-finalist in Bosmont Cup
• 2011 Seniors – Winners in Meadowlands Top 8 Cup
• 2011/12 Seniors – MLFA pre-season Cup Winners
• 2012/12 Seniors – MLFA League Runner-ups
• 2012 Seniors – Runner-ups Meadowlands Top 8 Cup
• 2012 Seniors – Discovery Walter Sisulu Soccer Challenge Semi-finalists
• 2013 Seniors – Ndofaya Easter Challenge semi-finalist
• 2013 Seniors – MLFA League winners and Sowe to Stix Morewa Champs (under 11)
• 2013 U/15 – MLFA League 3rd place
• 2013 U/17 – MLFA League 2nd place
• 2014 U/ 11 – M/lands Cup Runner-ups
• 2014 U/17 – M/lands Cup winners
• 2014 U/15 – Stix Morewa Cup semi – finalists
• 2014 Seniors – Stix Morewa Cup semi – finalists
• Lesego Nkoane in the National team U/17 (Baset sana), Lunga Tshabalala with Kaiser Chiefs U/17/19, Kabelo Mokoena with Jomo Cosmos U/17, Ofentse Masilo with a Mamelodi Sundowns programme U/13/15 (scholarship)
• Kgosi Brian Dolamo was with Kaizer Chiefs and currently signed in the PSL with Polokwane City
• 6 senior players are with a vodacom team (Terrors F.C) in Limpopo
• 2015 Seniors – MCS- NEG 2nd place
Meadowlands Academy FootBall Club Associates